To be eligible for Guaranteed Income to Grow Ann Arbor, you need to be an entrepreneur, which can mean many different things! 

We want to include people who have side hustles, are trying to start a business, who have a business going, or are gig workers. This could range from shoveling snow in the winter to having your own lawn care business or anything in between. Maybe you sell your crafts or do catering on the side. You could provide paid child care or elder care as a self-employed person. You might be an independent contractor or a freelancer. Musicians and artists are welcome to apply as well! 

Additionally, you need to be an Ann Arbor resident (which includes those residing in homeless shelters in Ann Arbor) and have income at or below 225% of the federal poverty line. The chart shows the dollar amounts, which vary based on the size of your household.

>> Resources for Ann Arbor entrepreneurs, gig workers, and small business owners

Household size (number of individuals)

Amount that is 225% of the federal poverty line















8 or more


Documents needed to apply

Because federal funds are being used for this pilot, we need to verify some information. When filling out the application, you can upload copies of documents or take pictures of the document and upload the picture. Specifically we will need to verify:

1) Your address. Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Official mail that is addressed to you (a utility bill, credit card bill, medical bill)
  • Voter registration card
    Ann Arbor public library card
  • A lease or sublease, mortgage payment, or property tax statement
  • Letter from a social service agency confirming your residence (for example, the Delonis Center)
  • Other identification with current address
  • Driver’s license with current address

2) Your age. Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Photo ID showing your date of birth (even if the ID is expired)
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Any of the above documentation if it shows your age or date of birth

3) Your income, which we can verify with:

  • Bridge Card or other documentation (including screenshots) showing receipt of programs for people with low income
  • Letter from a social service agency or community-based organization confirming eligibility for low-income programs and/or income (for example Avalon Housing, Peace Neighborhood Center, etc.)
  • State or federal tax return from 2022
  • Most recent W-2 or other form from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that shows income, such as 1099